Brand Spankin'

• Forum User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • I'm currently working on:Darth Vader/SG Away Team
  • State:SA

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:03 PM

Hi,

Thought i would star this thread for those of us that love Stargate. I am currently working on two SG1 uniforms,
I have two uniforms a green combat uniform and the black covert uniform. I managed to get a lot of the stuff from disposal stores and the rest from ebay, still saving to get the 2 jackets there is a guy in Poland that has them really cheap. Once I get them I can start sewing the patches on and the costume will be complete. I still have a few alterations to do to a few bits and pieces but here are a few pics from the weekend.

A very special thank you to Reactor Drone for letting me have access to his Stargate weapons they are awesome, and a very big thank you to starfire and kooky for taking the pics.

I will try and get pics of the individual pieces up later, as well as the black outfit when i can.

Edited by Darkdisciple, 03 April 2006 - 02:26 PM.

#2 Starfire Phoenix

Starfire Phoenix

Costume Lover

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:45 PM

Like I said on Sat, that looks completely awesome! smile.gif

#3 Merrick

Merrick

SA emeritus

• ACG Organiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • Interests:Restoring furniture, old cars.
  • I'm currently working on:Gordon Freeman HL2

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:08 PM

Hi, new to the site here, but I have a bit of experience with the Stargate costuming so this thread is rather interesting.

I actually have a couple of Mac's jackets from Poland that your talking about Dark, nicely made items but colour matching a pair of pants will be a nightmare. Absolutely no BDU pants available off the shelf are similar in colour. I ended up with a pair of beige ones that I had to dye to match. They're not exact but close enough for government work.

Those weapons are cool, did Reactor Drone make those himself?

What type of cap is that?

Sorry for the long post
To protect the world from devastation... R

#4 Starfire Phoenix

Starfire Phoenix

Costume Lover

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:40 PM

Hey Merrick,

RD's Stargate weapons are awesome. He made both the staff and the zat gun himself smile.gif

#5 Darkdisciple

Darkdisciple

Brand Spankin'

• Forum User
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • I'm currently working on:Darth Vader/SG Away Team

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the heads up Merrick.

There was another place in the States that sold the jackets but they are like $50 us more than the ones from poland unfortunetly I have been have major computer issues atm and I have lost nearly all my data sad.gif Otherwise I would have posted the link.

having just said that found it http://www.flightsui...kets_g8wep.html

Im still not quite finished yet there are a few more pieces I want to buy and a few things im going to alter.

Not sure on the cap was just a us army standard issue cap I think???

Edited by Darkdisciple, 25 April 2006 - 03:43 PM.

#6 Merrick

Merrick

SA emeritus

• ACG Organiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

The Flightsuits jacket is a nylon shell however, (which is shiny) whereas the ones on the show are made of cotton ripstop material. The Poland ones are cotton/poly, so they are much closer in material.

Check out this site, www.stargate6.com and go to the shop link. These guys have contracted a manufacturer out of Hong Kong to make almost exact copies out of ripstop. They're still in the late stages of pre-production, but they reckon that stock will arrive in the US in May I think. I'm keeping my eye on these, although they are a tad pricey.

That's a cool hat though. I've never seen a good one in any surplus stores locally. remember when the Army disposals store had loads or cool ex-army stuff? These days they have a tiny corner of the shop with ex-army stuff and the rest is import junk. Ahh those were the days.

What's your sidearm there?

Edited by Merrick, 25 April 2006 - 05:40 PM.

#7 Reactor drone

Reactor drone

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:science fiction,fantasy
  • I'm currently working on:P-90,building cyberman : )

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:58 AM

Here's some info people may find useful regarding replica weapons for military costumes.

Doing research for the P90 I'm making I found an ad for airsoft ones for about $25US,thinking "well that's cheaper and easier than making one" I put in an order.As it happens airsoft are considered weapons in this country so can't be imported.

But what about stuff that doesn't fire?

Checking up on firearms and customs regulations I found that " In order to import a replica firearm,an importer will need to obtain the written authorisation of the police firearms/weapons registry in the state or territory where the importer resides,before the arrival of the goods in australia.This authorisation will be in the form of a B709A."

So I e-mailed the firearms branch to see if such approval was likely on this particular replica and they replied,

"With regards to your query re a FN Herstal P90 submachine gun.

Firstly we have no authority to issue approvals for military weapons. This applies to all weapons of this type whether they are air soft, replicas or the real thing.

All of these weapons require the approval of the federal Attorney General and it is only in exceptional circumstances that approval is given.

With regards to decommissioned weapons Customs legislation do not recognise weapons as decommissioned and as such are regarded as firearms and are subject to safety checks. As a result firearms that are decommissioned fail safety testing and are not allowed to be imported."

so looks like it's back to scratchbuilding the P90.

There are some replica weapons for sale in australia,but these are usually types used by the australian army,so it seems locally sourced military weapons are ok but imports aren't,also science fiction weapons based on real weapons and still easily identifiable as such ,like the star wars weapons(sterling submachine gun,mauser pistol etc) can be obtained(not sure if they can be imported though).

I should also add that a lot of conventions don't allow replica weapons to be carried as part of costumes but some do allow them for specific events(costume competitions).

Hope that helps unwind some red tape wacko.gif

#8 Cat M

Cat M

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • I'm currently working on:Historical - mid 12th C bliaut
  • State:QLD

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:55 AM

Reactordrone - I have absolutely no idea what kind of gun replica you are looking for.... but I was wondering if you could find anything at this Australian online store

http://www.collector...ry/default.html

that would be useful. Maybe even to get different parts to 'frankenstein' the gun you are after.

Also, has anyone attempted to make one of the costumes of the civilians from any of the various worlds visited?

Edited by Cat M, 11 June 2006 - 08:57 AM.

Costuming Blog - One More Stitch

#9 LadySilverSpider

LadySilverSpider

Kind of Obsessive

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Eco friendly costumes, fabrics and materials
    Original Costume ideas
    Film and Television costume reproductions
  • I'm currently working on:Commissioned pieces

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:15 AM

Steve the man who made the Alien props and most of the other props at the Terra Nova III event has an uncanny ability to throw replica weapons together with foam,cardboard and no more gaps and they actually don't look half bad ...he's not online yet so you might want to catch up with him at the next guild gathering to ask him some how toos as well

#10 Reactor drone

Reactor drone

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:42 AM

Collects armoury sells australian used replica weapons,I did check them out in my searches biggrin.gif

this is the P90

and here's the start of my sculpting

I can make it it just would have been easier to get a cheap non-firing replica.

On the bright side it looks like I'll be the sole australian based source soon happy.gif

#11 Merrick

Merrick

SA emeritus

• ACG Organiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:02 PM

That sculpt looks cool. I know from the stargate froums there's a few aussies who will be seriously appreciative of your time and effort!

Are you using any specifcations (eg blueprints) or is it all from reference photos? Either way it look darn accurate thus far.

Although I can understand the standpoint of Australian Authorities on the importation of weapons, I am still utterly unimpressed by the whole non-firing / replica bans.

#12 Starfire Phoenix

Starfire Phoenix

Costume Lover

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(Reactor drone @ Jun 11 2006, 11:38 AM) View Post
On the bright side it looks like I'll be the sole australian based source soon happy.gif

I'd want one wink.gif

#13 Reactor drone

Reactor drone

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(Merrick @ Jun 11 2006, 04:28 AM) View Post
That sculpt looks cool. I know from the stargate froums there's a few aussies who will be seriously appreciative of your time and effort!

Are you using any specifcations (eg blueprints) or is it all from reference photos? Either way it look darn accurate thus far.

Although I can understand the standpoint of Australian Authorities on the importation of weapons, I am still utterly unimpressed by the whole non-firing / replica bans.

I'm mostly working off reference photos and specifications,I know how high,long and wide the gun is so I can scale out photos pretty accurately.Just refining the curves at the moment before making a prelininary mould of the foam sculpt,once I have it in fibreglass I can clean it up more and add more detail.

#14 Last_Chael

Last_Chael

Costume Lover

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Interests:Historical costuming; vintage clothing; sci-fi and fantasy; comic books.
  • I'm currently working on:New Wonder Woman costume, vintage clothing

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(Cat M @ Jun 11 2006, 10:21 AM) View Post
Also, has anyone attempted to make one of the costumes of the civilians from any of the various worlds visited?

I'd love to do a Nox. I've seen one done before, which looked alright, but the costume would be so much fun! But in general, I think there's so many worlds, it would be hard to choose one, and also have people recognise it as being from stargate, unless you travelled with a bunch of stargaters in army costume. There are of course the Goa'uld system lords, they have some pretty nifty costumes. Neirti had a pretty nice one, as did the chinese lady (can't remember her name, but she comes through the gate with Yuu and Cronus). Ooooh actually a replicator Sam would be cool! hahaha see way too many to choose from tongue.gif

#15 Cat M

Cat M

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • I'm currently working on:Historical - mid 12th C bliaut

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(Last_Chael @ Jun 12 2006, 03:19 PM) View Post
There are of course the Goa'uld system lords, they have some pretty nifty costumes. Neirti had a pretty nice one, as did the chinese lady (can't remember her name, but she comes through the gate with Yuu and Cronus). Ooooh actually a replicator Sam would be cool! hahaha see way too many to choose from tongue.gif

I know the Chinese lady you mean... absolutely gorgeous. Matching the floral fabric would be the tricky part... I wouldn't mind doing Hathor. mmmmmm Mother Goa'uld goodness.

Reactor drone: what are you 'sculpting' it from? I've never done any kind of prop making before but I've heard some people talk of using a kind of artists foam or something.
Costuming Blog - One More Stitch

#16 Starfire Phoenix

Starfire Phoenix

Costume Lover

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

Hathor is one of my faves too Cat. I was looking at wigs recently and I saw one that would be perfect!

By the way, if any of you ladies want to do a group of Ha'ktyl, I'm definitely in! smile.gif

#17 Last_Chael

Last_Chael

Costume Lover

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Interests:Historical costuming; vintage clothing; sci-fi and fantasy; comic books.
  • I'm currently working on:New Wonder Woman costume, vintage clothing

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:27 AM

ooooh I'd love to do that! Warrior women all the way!!!

#18 Merrick

Merrick

SA emeritus

• ACG Organiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:10 PM

RD, found this link on another forum, thought this may be possible to import, regarding Australian laws.

http://store.botacht...ugunrifsho.html
http://www.blueguns.com/

#19 Metanoia

Metanoia

Kind of Obsessive

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

They have "blue guns" in a place called "plat-a-tak" in melbourne and I believe they're basically a training gun for the army.

If you were looking at importing something like this I would check with customs at the very least because you know what our laws are like with anything resembling a weapon. It is after all a replica gun, and we are civillians, not military in training.

Or try places that stock some of these things and see if you can get them to make a special order for you.

#20 Reactor drone

Reactor drone

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:09 PM

You may be ok importing them.The bans are on realistic replicas,decommisioned real guns and firing/airsoft type weapons.

If it's obviously a toy i.e bright blue it's probably allowed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users