Photo

Tell us about your favourite book in your collection.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:Lace Making, Beautiful unique clothing, embroidery, traveling, photography etc.
  • I'm currently working on:Heraldic Surcote using a Burda Pattern.
  • State:ACT

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:15 PM

I recently purchased a copy of Napoleon and the Empire of Fashion. This is definitely a must have for Regency Costuming Fans. It has photos of real french extent gowns from 1795 - 1815. I bought my copy from the Book Depository for $31.00 (AUS$) delivered free to my door. Here is the link to the book Napoleon and the Empire of Fashion Book If you pay any more for this book you got ripped off.

This book will be one of my treasures for this period. I have decided it will probably be the last book on this era I will buy.

Cheers

Pink
Costuming takes you away from the ordinary and makes your creative skills extraordinary.

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#22 darkgarden

darkgarden

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Fashion Sketching
    Sewing
    Historical Patterns and Techniques
    Anything to do with Corset Building
  • I'm currently working on:1950's petticoat
  • State:NSW

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

This is not really a costuming book but I have found it very helpful for maintaining my wardrobe. It's called MEND IT BETTER by Kristin M. Roach. I bought it on Fishpond.com.au. It teaches how to make an emergency mend kit and how to patch, hem, and darn things in a way that celebrates repair and praises patches (without trying to hide your handy work.) There is also a section on washing and what all those funny symbols mean on clothing labels. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking to extend the life of their clothing and costumes.

#23 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:Lace Making, Beautiful unique clothing, embroidery, traveling, photography etc.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

HI,
Here's one for your bookshelf if you love steampunk: http://www.bookdepos...s/9780810989580 I was able to get my library to buy a copy and am currently reading it. I hope that you will enjoy reading it as much as I do.

Cheers

Pink
Costuming takes you away from the ordinary and makes your creative skills extraordinary.

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#24 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Here is another book that is great for collectors of reference materials for 20th century projects: Classic Fashion Patterns: Of the 20th Century by Anne Tyrrell http://www.bookdepos...l/9781906388515 it has scaled key patterns one for both women and men for each decade. Also those who love museum quality reference books Russian Elegance: http://www.bookdepos...a/9781908126078, I got my copy this week and drooled over the photos! Great if you love looking at ethnic and western european fashions from late 1700's. My book habbit is terrible I will have to do a weed of my collection and decide what to keep or give a way. Sigh I love my collection.

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#25 Kat

Kat

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dr who, Steampunk, B5, SCA, Stargate, Starwars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, historical costuming (esp. 16th C Florence).....
  • I'm currently working on:More Steampunk, Florentine SCA garb, River Song...
  • State:SA

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

ah... not novels... easier to pick.
La Moda Firenze (and the new mens' version).
http://www.amazon.co...a/dp/8883048679
http://www.amazon.co...38&sr=1-1-spell
and
Dressing a Galaxy
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0810965674
and Janet Arnold series...
http://www.amazon.co...erns of fashion
and ....
I will have to stop here, for now...
Kat

"Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
The Purplefiles can be found at http://katerina.purplefiles.net

#26 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

For those who are beginning their millinery journey I can recommend a modern millinery book called Hats! by Sarah Cant. It has everything that Waltruad Reiner taught me at Sturt and much more. See: http://www.bookdepos...t/9781408129029 I have a copy and I love how it is up to date and explains techniques in modern English unlike the historical books I have in my collection.

Cheers

Pink

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#27 darkgarden

darkgarden

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
    Sewing

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

I haven't bought for that period yet. But I am working on a smock from the Tudor Tailor.

My copy of Tudor Tailor arrived yesterday. I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. Thanks for letting me know about this book. P.S. I've been watching old episodes of The Tudors and I'm hooked on The Borgias. I think I may try to bring back slashed sleeves as a fashion statement. Think it will work???? :P

#28 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Here are a few Steampunk books I have noticed coming across my desk at the Library:

Steampunk Fashion by Samuel Ratcliffe - http://www.bookdepos...e/9780956028440 - It is just newly published and covers the movement from both sides of the Atlantic and the Pacific.

Also:
Steampunk Gear, Gadgets, and Gizmos: A Maker's Guide to Creating Modern Artifacts (Paperback)

Has some DYI projects in it for those who are challenged drawing designs.

You also may like to make some jewelery:
Metalwork jewelry : 35 step-by-step projects inspired by steampunk / Linda Peterson. My library has a copy may be it is work checking out through your library.

Cheers

PInk

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#29 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

I hope you find my book posts helpful - it's the least I can do for a wonderful costuming community.

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#30 darkgarden

darkgarden

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
    Sewing

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

I hope you find my book posts helpful - it's the least I can do for a wonderful costuming community.

Very helpful! Thanks Pink. You may wish to try www.fishpond.com Sometimes, I get great deals on books there. For most orders, shipping is free, even from the US.

#31 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

Dark Garden,
Thanks for the tip about Fishpond.

Now who is beginning to work with wigs, prosthetics, wigs, millinery, accessories and altering old garments for new purposes? I guess that describes most of us to some degree. However, if you belong to the local theatre group with some budgetary discretion to spend on creating characters then this book may be for you. I would recommend that you get this book on Inter Library Loan to see if it suits your needs:

Costume Craftwork on a Budget by Tan Huaixiang published by Focal Press.

See Trove entry for a library that may lend to you on ILL through your local public library branch.

http://trove.nla.gov...sionId=30594545

This book covers the following topics:
  • "Part of the costume designer's job is to be creative and use what materials are available to execute the design elements in a production. This book shows you how to use inexpensive materials to create durable products in a short amount of time that are both practical and attractive. Costume Craftwork on a Budget is written in an easy-to-follow manner and each step is shown with a wide array of full color illustrations and photographs. From creating armor out of laundry baskets to detailed tricks for creating a witch's prosthetic nose, this book provides the techniques needed to produce end results that are beautiful, economical, and safe."--BOOK JACKET.
Contents
  • Sect. 1. 3-D makeup, teeth, wigs, and beards
  • Ch. 1. 3-D makeup - prosthetic pieces
  • Ch. 2. Teeth
  • Ch. 3. Wigs
  • Ch. 4. Beards
  • Sect. 2. Masks
  • Ch. 5. Rubber masks
  • Ch. 6. Varaform and wonderflex masks
  • Ch. 7. Mixed-materials masks
  • Sect. 3. Hats and headdresses
  • Ch. 8. Variety hats
  • Ch. 9. Straw and horsehair hats
  • Ch. 10. Crowns
  • Ch. 11. Turbans and hoods
  • Ch. 12. Headdresses
  • 20 More...

Formats available: Hard copy and E-Book.

Cheers

Your Book Hound

Pink

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#32 darkgarden

darkgarden

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
    Sewing

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

I just got making vintage accessories: 25 original sewing projects inspired by the 1920's-60's by Emma Brennan. I hope to use this book to help me make some of my vintage inspired dresses into whole ensembles. There are bags, hats, gloves and even jewelry projects, in this this book.

#33 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

I just got making vintage accessories: 25 original sewing projects inspired by the 1920's-60's by Emma Brennan. I hope to use this book to help me make some of my vintage inspired dresses into whole ensembles. There are bags, hats, gloves and even jewelry projects, in this this book.

I really liked that book especially the vintage trim instructions. I give it the thumbs up too.

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#34 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well we've been talking mostly about P-books [paper books]. So those who are getting use to E-books and I am one of them - using disk space instead of shelf space. Go over the the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Publication Page and have a look at the out of print catalogues. These are now available for download for free, nadda, nothing - just save them to your hard drive on your computer, e-book reader or tablet.

The best collection to look at is: The Costume Institute

http://www.metmuseum...metpublications

I hope you enjoy a couple hours of drooling and bandwith hogging to your hearts content.

Awww gosh I love sharing!

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#35 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ever wondered what those funny extra sewing machine feet are for that came with your machine? You may find this book helpful:

The sewing machine accessory bible by Wendy Gardiner and published by Search Press.

http://www.searchpre...accessory-bible

It is a paper book and not in an ebook format. I would like too see more books in e-format - my shelf space is very limited.

Available on inter-library loan see Trove record: http://trove.nla.gov...sionId=94421369

Enjoy your reading!

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#36 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hi here's a quick post for the men folk. Vintage Menswear: A collection from the Vintage Showroom. It is an excellent source of high quality photos of actual vintage mens wear from the early 1900's to about the 1960's. Let you imagination run wild from steam punk, deasil punk, aviation themes etc.  My library had a copy and I grabbed it the moment it came across my desk.  http://www.bookdepos...s/9781856698832  So all men folk get a look at it and drool, imagine and create!

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#37 planA25

planA25

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • I'm currently working on:18th Century, 19th Century, Vintage and Retro, Needlelace, tatting, crochet
  • State:QLD

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Pink: Thanks for posting Vintage Menswear: A collection form the Vintage Showroom. I put this on my wishlist.

"If you enjoy what you are doing you can always find time for whatever you want." William George Plunkett
My livejournal

#38 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

For lovers of shoes: Shoes a history from sandals to sneakers. Great if you want to learn about the styles of shoes through history but don't have a cupboard like a Hollywood star to keep your collection in. :)

http://www.bookdepos...o/9780857850386

Borrow it from your library - mine has a copy.

Pink

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

#39 darkgarden

darkgarden

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
    Sewing

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

Currently reading Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible with Ada Calhoun.  It's a quick walk through history and how the clothes, we wear today, came to be.  I've just started reading but so far I'm wrapped.

#40 Pink35

Pink35

Regular

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Another great book came today: Basics in Fashion Design 03: Construction. I can't wait to get into reading it covers topics from pattern cutting to fastenings and haberdashery. http://www.booktopia...2940373758.html A great primer for beginners - also your library may have a copy to borrow that's how I spied this great book.

Rosies Stuff N Sew

Come and visit my blog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users