#1 M-Pompadour

M-Pompadour

Victorian Contact

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • State:VIC

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

Has anyone added LEDs to clothing using LilyPad Arduino electronics? I have seen a Jacket on U Tube that lights up and flashed (link below) and found some electronics that is specific for clothing. The electronics are even washable! You can add sound and sensors as well.

I guess the Jacket is not really a costume as such but the adding of LED's would be. I have no idea where to wear the Jacket but I love it just the same.

#2 M-Pompadour

M-Pompadour

Victorian Contact

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

I decide to have a go at making a Jacket with LED"S. I bought all the components and have started sewing the LED's on to an inner lining of calico (lots of hand sewing) with the conductive thread as well. My husband has run some tests on the circuit board with programing the lights and its working really well.

Will update latter with some video if anyone is interested.

#3 Merrick

Merrick

SA emeritus

• ACG Organiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • Interests:Restoring furniture, old cars.
  • I'm currently working on:Gordon Freeman HL2
  • State:SA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

I'd like to see a video of it. Sounds interesting.
To protect the world from devastation... R

#4 M-Pompadour

M-Pompadour

Victorian Contact

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

I finally finished the back of the Jacket and I have loaded the video up to You Tube. I was very impressed with this finished product; it works really well with the conductive thread. At the moment it's just running of the PC, if I get a couple of running hours of a battery I would be happy with that.

I am working on the front at the moment and once that's running I will post another video.

The programing sequence has not been fixed yet, it's still running an old test pattern.

#5 silvermine

silvermine

Brand Spankin'

• Forum User
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • State:NSW

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

That looks amazing! So effective, well done. I've stitched conductive thread before, but the results weren't anywhere as bright as yours (though I was running it off a tiny battery). Where did you order your LEDs from? I'm thinking of making a costume with the heat-reactive lilypad hardware on gloves but I need to test a bit more...

Could you recommend any useful sites to have a look at?

#6 Guest_trustom_*

Guest_trustom_*

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Well, it has been pretty common to see those shirts with led lights as design right in them. Though I am not sure how those would measure up when washed, but I think that you have to take the whole light system out when you have to wash it.

But with costumes, if you could secure them in a nice snug fit, I don't think there would be any problem that would come your way here.

#7 M-Pompadour

M-Pompadour

Victorian Contact

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

I got all my supplies from a US web site www.sparkfun.com because they have a large variety of lily pad items and a variety of conductive thread and there postage costs are very good.

I used the thick stainless steel thread it meant that I had on sew it all by hand and not on a sewing machine. It also have a very low resistance of about 4 Ohms per linear foot which I need that because some of my LED's are so far apart. That did not bother me sewing by hand but sewing all the LED's on took a long time.

I used 3mm white LED's I found on EBay. There is nothing special about what LED you use. I chose a small one because i was concerned about the power usage.

I have not picked it up in a while I am currently doing another project and it has taken up all my time. There is a dance festival coming up in April which is probably the only place I can where the jacket but I won't get it done in time.

I will definitely post my progress when i get back on to doing the front. :)
Oh it only suggests to wash by hand not sure if am game to do that, may be just spot cleaning. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users