• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 mdb

mdb

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • I'm currently working on:Cleves/Cologne style dress, Elizabethan surcoat, victorian dresses.. too many to name!
  • State:Not Australia

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:27 PM

Nah, they were electroplated;) If you email Warren Green, he'll tell ya as he still has some. But there was also some knitted string maille on background extras (and elves). I know two people who player Rohirrim who were amongst those sufficiently far in the background to not get the speccy armour.

The rings are very very very heavily plated as well. They fool most people into believing they are real metal. I think the plate winds up a good half mm thick. I wasn't about the break the rings to get a good view.

I think I know where the idea that the maille was painted came from! Frodo's Mithril vest was butchers maille sparpainted to make it visually lighter and brighter. Gimli's stuff was also very thin pvc and I'm pretty sure they were sprayed. So was the scale armour (it felt like the stuff used for flip files.)

There were several different colours achieved for the PVC maille via electroplating. I handled aged silver (possibly the aging was paint), aged brass (used for Eowyn) and some black. They even managed ot make some plate that looked like paua shell! I foolishly never asked just what the plating metal actually was.

But if you won't take the word of someone who has held the stuff wink.gif :
http://www.theonerin...ew/2/1000125317
http://www.aintitcoo...cgi?id= 10130
http://www.theonerin....11.99-11.21.99
http://filmforce.ign...5/305782p1.html
http://www.theonerin...ew/8/1025542836
http://movies.groups...me/message/2563
minor bits that the PVC maille was electroplated.

Plastics are electroplated all the time (my camera button for instance is plated, but it's such a thin plate that it is almost worn off.)
http://www.plastic.c.../08/19/20275577
Someone electroplated his D&D dice

I was curious if there was any more PVC that was plated though:
http://hiddenwires.c...0050120-14.html
Electroplated PVC cone

It was really for weight while filming. I don't think people realise how exhausting it is to film at all let along in full weight armour;)

As no one here is goign to be under the lights, waiting for those darned clouds/birds/planes/people to get past before settign up shot again.. etc... then real rings are probably a good way to go;)
For the amount of work involved as well....

I'm wodnering if the photo in the CiN book is actually real maille. They are using pliers and the rings are round...
Oh, it's been mentioend re. LotR that that there was some real maille used for some shots. So that may be what the photo here shows.

I also read that WETA made their PVC coated maille for Kingdom of Heaven as well. Must find out if it is so...

#22 Starfire Phoenix

Starfire Phoenix

Costume Lover

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • State:SA

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:20 PM

I also read that WETA made their PVC coated maille for Kingdom of Heaven as well. Must find out if it is so...

Yes, I believe it was. Richard Taylor was at the Sydney Supanova Expo and he covered the new sections of WETA's business, which include a group called WETA Tenzan Chainmaille.

He explained their process of making the rings - they are injection moulded, and snap together very easily. He had lots of footage that he showed us, of the films that they have used this new method for, and Kingdom of Heaven was one of them.

I also found some more info on their site about the finishes they can do here.

I'm not sure which talk he covered it in, but you can download the podcasts here. It's either number 3 or number 15. I'm pretty sure it was number 3 though.

He was very cool, and very eager to talk about the armour. You can tell how much he loves the work they do smile.gif

Edited by Starfire Phoenix, 17 December 2005 - 04:29 PM.

#23 mdb

mdb

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • I'm currently working on:Cleves/Cologne style dress, Elizabethan surcoat, victorian dresses.. too many to name!

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(Starfire Phoenix @ Dec 17 2005, 08:46 PM) View Post
Yes, I believe it was. Richard Taylor was at the Sydney Supanova Expo and he covered the new sections of WETA's business, which include a group called WETA Tenzan Chainmaille.

Excellent.. and this now explains why the rings in the photo are smooth. I was actually just wondering if it would be cost effective to mould the rings now.. I'm so out of the loop now;)

The ones I handled were very definitely the cut stuff as there were lips on the corners of the outer edges, this was probably from the buildup of metal over the rough edges.

#24 Cora

Cora

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Designing Concepts<br />Reading<br />Movies
  • I'm currently working on:SSAC, Kaylee Fry, OBSG Command Uniform

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:30 AM

Thanks for all the information so far, I will be taking it all to heart as I continue to make this costume.

Cora
"Your Completely Mad!"
"You're Right, I'll Look Daft with one Shoe..." - The Doctor

According to Kavan Smith, I like to shoot Children...:S

E=MCkay

#25 Aryana

Aryana

Regular

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:anything that has to do with costumes, want to broaden my experience and try a little of everything
  • I'm currently working on:Blouse for Australia day, and designing a couple of things for the ball

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:08 AM

There are a few costumes that i really want to do, but time and money will be the problem...

I have been trying to find good pics of Geena Davis in Cutthroat island for her outfit, but have yet to find any that will help me make it....guessing which event thats for ??? LOL, so if anyone knows of a good source of pics can they let me know

then I want to make something truly amazing for the Ball.....again i have no idea what yet?

I would like to venture into a little more on the sci-fi stuff, but i dont know, i know Victorian stuff well thats great but other stuff i'm a little nervous about. I wouldn't know where to start

A crinoline is also on the agenda this year as well as a couple of Edwardian outfits
A 1940 's dress I'm going for as well

I would like to try my hand at making an LOTR outfit....hmmmmmm

sorry waffling on now......so much to think about
The 21st century is when it all changes....and you gotta be ready

#26 LadySilverSpider

LadySilverSpider

Kind of Obsessive

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Eco friendly costumes, fabrics and materials
    Original Costume ideas
    Film and Television costume reproductions
  • I'm currently working on:Commissioned pieces

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:21 AM

Have you done a search on the net yet for pictures? If not sometimes you can get some software to take screenshots of DVDs on your computer if you can get a copy of the movie on DVD so you can see glimpses of how the costume is made.

I think we all have our work cut out for us - so much on this year!! YAY

#27 Aryana

Aryana

Regular

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:anything that has to do with costumes, want to broaden my experience and try a little of everything
  • I'm currently working on:Blouse for Australia day, and designing a couple of things for the ball

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:51 AM

had a hunt around for a photo of some outfits, but i haven't found any but i did find a pattern from spotlight that i rather like so i am making that for the pirate night...going to look at hiring maybe all the other bits and bobs that i need.....

#28 Andrew

Andrew

Brand Spankin'

• Forum User
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Celtic<br />Medieval History - War of the Roses<br />Roman History<br />Egyptian History<br />Sci-Fi - Startrek, Red Dwarf<br />Military - Ancient to Modern
  • I'm currently working on:Pirate, Kryton

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:18 AM

At the moment a Pirate costume, but later this year I hope to complete a Kryton and a Klingon. Also, something for the '40's night and I am in dire need of some new SCA clothing. Still working on King Henry VIII too.

Anyone know how to slow down time, or should I move to a planet with longer days. smile.gif

Andrew

#29 Cora

Cora

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Designing Concepts<br />Reading<br />Movies
  • I'm currently working on:SSAC, Kaylee Fry, OBSG Command Uniform

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:25 PM

I have taken a bit of a hold up in the White Witch Battle Garb, I thought I would try something a bit neater.

River's Fighting Reavers Dress - Serenity

I have made the pattern I want to use out of newspaper to save $35 in patterns. I hope to have the mock-up done tomorrow b4 and after work, so I will try to maybe get some pics.

Cora
"Your Completely Mad!"
"You're Right, I'll Look Daft with one Shoe..." - The Doctor

According to Kavan Smith, I like to shoot Children...:S

E=MCkay

#30 sad frog

sad frog

Regular

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • I'm currently working on:Hats, hats, hats, hats, hats
  • State:NSW

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:45 AM

For the main game that I'm in, it looks like this year I will need:
a Greek Soldier outfit
Italian Renaissance dress
Egyptian outift x3 (I think 1 outfit and 3 different sets of accessories?)
and possibly more

I have the cloak I'm making for a friend and some non-costume clothes projects too, but other than that I am trying not to decide too soon or it will all be too much pressure!

I'd like to make at least one thing that I don't need for anything, that I can take my time with and do really well. Lots of ideas for this but I'll see what comes up during the year and what I can afford.

Edited by sad frog, 19 February 2006 - 07:45 AM.

#31 mdb

mdb

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:01 PM

(sorry, I didn't realise I hadn't added the site to my hotlink protection "whitelist")

Aieee!!!!!

My plans have changed for this year:)
I'm still making my Blue Dress from Phantom (Aussie style)

But I also found a wonderful red silk so I can finally make the Red Dress from Dracula

So no Jadis, but Mina is now back on the list.... woo!!!!

Edited by mdb, 21 February 2006 - 07:08 PM.

#32 LadySilverSpider

LadySilverSpider

Kind of Obsessive

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
    Original Costume ideas

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:24 PM

Gosh mdb that red silk is beautiful and I know exactly the dress you are making - what a beauty. I can see that the Mina outfit is way more exciting than Jadis. Now you need the matching Prince with his beautiful embroidered coat.

Do you happen to own a copy of the Eiko/ Frances Ford Coppola book on the Costumes from Bram Stokers Dracula? This is one book I want to save up and get has excellent pictures of the costumes.

#33 mdb

mdb

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:01 PM

I did spot a reasonable priced copy a while back, there were a few under $100 anyway. Which is great as I've seen the hardback go for $US700! I do know a few people who have the book, so I may be able to ask them a few questions:)

I would love to do the Jadis costume as well, but I don't think I'd be able to fit it in as well. I also wanted to make Elphaba's Act II dress from the musical Wicked. But I found this silk so the other projects are on hold;)

I mean I've only wanted to make it for 10 years or so;)

Edited by mdb, 21 February 2006 - 10:01 PM.

#34 LadySilverSpider

LadySilverSpider

Kind of Obsessive

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
    Original Costume ideas

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:49 AM

That book will be something for me from Santa this year I hope.

Anyway I realise I haven't said anything about my 2006 costumes.

I'm having a hard time deciding what the hell to wear or make for the Costumers Ball AAAAAAHHHH!!

I've got my Pirate gear worked out for the weekend. I'm tracing out two 1940s patterns for World War II event - one is a suit which I am going to do in purple wool and the other is a slinky long satin dress with a capelet - the colour I haven't totally decided but it will probably be in a nice thick steely blue bridal satin with an old gold for the trim. I've got Barbarella's bodysuit in the wings - the white suit with the red boots etc, I have to see how the rubber suits going for Underworld and I am progressing on my Moulin Rouge outfits slower than I would like. Somewhere in all of this I want to make some more victorian and regency outfits.

Does anyone else get costume block sometimes when faced with a competition/ball?

#35 mdb

mdb

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:52 AM

You bet!

It's more due to health issues though. So when ever I see SCA kingdom A&S competitions I wind up with an idea maybe a month before they happen. Which is simply not enough time for me;)

Prior to that time I usually have no idea;)

"Luckily" the only other comps here occur once a year so I usually have ideas well in advance.

#36 Starfire Phoenix

Starfire Phoenix

Costume Lover

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

First completed costumes for 2006:

Pirates!

#37 Aryana

Aryana

Regular

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

Well.....I am pleased with my costume for the pirate night, i didn't look mean enough though, looked more annoyed than anything else......I am in the throes of finishing a new bustle outfit for Government House on the 5th March, i am really pleased with how it looks. Going to buy some material for my outfit for the ball, and hopefully some patterns from the states that i have had my eye on for a while... Nailing down ideas now for my Xmas outfit, will be a crinoline for sure and i think i will make a civil war dress uniform for my hubby

Thats about it for now will update a little later....I hope everyone is enjoying the year so far in the land of ccostumes.

#38 DonnaLee

DonnaLee

Kind of Obsessive

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

Hi
My next project will be hopfully another bustle (natural form) dress, inspired by the yellow striped dress Michelle Phiffer wears in Age of Innocence (in Boston) - I have some red/white pin striped cotton, so I hope to make something similar. I made myself a corset to go with my bustle evening dress, but it doesn't have the proper busk opening (I used boning and hooks and eyes). It looks the part but I would really like to put in a proper busk opening - is the USA the only place I can purchase one or does anyone know if there anywhere in Australia who supplies.

I also would like to make an elizabethian outfit (including corset) and if I feel really inspired something from the recency period. But if I only get one of these finished I will be so happy.

Any way even though I'm not into the scifi costumes, I do like the Star Wars movies - watching Return of the Jedi at this very moment - that Hans is so yummy.

Cheers
Donna

#39 Aryana

Aryana

Regular

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

Hi DonnaLee,

I believe there is a place in Melbourne that does boning, i will try again get bak to you with his name is a day or so as i havent got it on hand at the moment but i have done wonderful business with a company called Farthingdales in Canada...their dollar is almost the same as ours so the prie difference isn't much and they get here in about a week which is fantastic....

But i will try and find this guys name for you in Melbourne and let you know where he is or at least a phone number

cheers
Aryana

#40 aremaous

aremaous

Bringer of Chatter

• ACG Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:I like all gowns and all eras, both mens and womens wear. If it looks good, im interested. I love the underthings just as much as the overthings. Historic, fantasy, inspiration... im into it all.
  • I'm currently working on:1700s gown for the ball and steampunk

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:56 PM

This year sees me in a early 1870s green apple gown with rose apron. worn when we went to the muesum in january.
I would like to make a natural form with this grey wool with black velvet trim material i saw in spotlight (need to win that lotto) and i would like to try my hand at something from the mid 1700s aswell. ive become a bit partial to tudor gowns at the mo (1500s ish) but i think that will have to wait...
"be patient is very good advice, but the waiting makes me curious..." Alice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users