• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Wildcat

Wildcat

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Steampunk, Neo-Victorian, Dieselpunk, Gothic Lolita, Visual Kei, Kigurumi, Cosplay.
  • State:SA

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

Hi

I'm attempting to make a white Lolita petticoat with lots of “poof” (similar to the one below made by Metanoia).

I am trying to gather (thick) tulle, but the thread keeps breaking. *Curses at the tulle and waves angry fist in the air* mad.gif

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. wacko.gif

#2 Silver Moonblaze

Silver Moonblaze

Webmaster

• Webmaster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

I've never worked with tulle before, but I'm guessing you're doing it by hand?

The only thing I could suggest is using a thicker thread - a nice thick linen thread, or something along those lines.

And doing it really, really slowly. I found that helps when I cartridge pleat stuff.

#3 Wildcat

Wildcat

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Steampunk, Neo-Victorian, Dieselpunk, Gothic Lolita, Visual Kei, Kigurumi, Cosplay.

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE(Silver Moonblaze @ Feb 1 2007, 10:12 AM) View Post
I've never worked with tulle before, but I'm guessing you're doing it by hand?

I'm sewing it by sewing machine (using a long stitch), then pulling on one of the threads (gathering by hand).

QUOTE(Silver Moonblaze @ Feb 1 2007, 10:12 AM) View Post
The only thing I could suggest is using a thicker thread - a nice thick linen thread, or something along those lines.

Linen thread might be stronger than the cotton thread I'm using at the moment. *plans to buy some linen thread*

#4 Silver Moonblaze

Silver Moonblaze

Webmaster

• Webmaster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

I've never tried using the linen thread in a machine, someone else may know if that works well?

Otherwise, I'd sew the stitches by hand as well, then very carefully pull on them to gather.

#5 Wildcat

Wildcat

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:35 AM

I did a Google search and looks like Polyester and Nylon thread might be good options too, when It comes to strength.

#6 Atory

Atory

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:45 AM

It sounds like you might just be pulling the thread too hard. Are you trying to do all of it at once or are you working your way along with the gathering?

#7 wenz

wenz

NSW Contact

• ACG Organiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Interests:shoes, movies, folkloric bellydance, shoes,
  • I'm currently working on:regency open robe
  • State:NSW

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

another trick is to zig-zag over a piece of dental tape, it's easier to gather up the tough net like this.

If you really want more poompf to the volume, cut the bit to be ruffled twice as wide, fold in half and gather. I remember using metres and metres of netting on my bridesmaids dress. And when I arrived back in NZ for my sisters wedding her tulle petticoat just wasn't up to supporting her dress, so I got the job of using a stiffer net and adding another layer and ruffle.

I remember my mothers net petticoats from the 50s - not that I was alive then, but that I got to wear them for dress ups and looked at how they were made.

#8 Wildcat

Wildcat

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Atory @ Feb 1 2007, 10:45 AM) View Post
It sounds like you might just be pulling the thread too hard. Are you trying to do all of it at once or are you working your way along with the gathering?

Apparently you have to "show the tulle who's boss", so I being gentle and hard at the same time. Slowly working my way along with the gathering. I'm not being that rough, the weekness of the thread is causing most of the problems.

QUOTE(wenz @ Feb 1 2007, 11:03 AM) View Post
another trick is to zig-zag over a piece of dental tape, it's easier to gather up the tough net like this.

Awesome idea! I have some dental-floss at home... Who whould have thought. LOL! I'll might end up with a minty smelling petticoat! biggrin.gif

#9 Wildcat

Wildcat

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:59 AM

I brought some upholstery thread during my lunch break. So hopefully it won't break as easily as the cotton thread. smile.gif

#10 Chastangela

Chastangela

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • I'm currently working on:the new year of projects
  • State:NSW

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

I second the dental floss technique. Its wonderful for things like brocades, heavy tulle and other stiff or thick fabrics. Just put the machine on your longest and widest zigzag stitch and then run the floss through as you stitch over it. It will take much more for it to snap and gives a nice secure hand hold for pulling in lots of fabric.

#11 Pinstripes

Pinstripes

Regular

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • State:VIC

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

Was going to suggest the zigzagging over, but I always was told fine cord rather than dental floss.

My other favourite accessory is a gathering foot.

I did a frilled victorian petticoat and couldn't have lived without my gathering foot.

#12 Wildcat

Wildcat

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:50 AM

I tried that upholstery thread first (seeing as I spent $5 on it, and if that didn't work, I would try the dental-floss) and BINGO! The upholstery thread worked! I was pulling and gathering it quite firmly and it didn't break! *dances* happy.gif

#13 Fianna

Fianna

Brand Spankin'

• Forum User
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • I'm currently working on:1950's 'poodle' skirt and a firefighter dress-up for a child.

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

These comments have actually been very helpful to read through - I'm making a petticoat to go under a 1950's rock'n'roll/'poodle' skirt and I had also tried to gather the tulle with my normal thread - and it just doesn't work. What I've done since, is to take very small pleats in the tulle and machine over it as I go, then I can sew it onto the petticoat.

I think I'll try some of the suggested techniques next time though! But I doubt it will prevent the dreaded tulle rash on the wrists.... *ouchy!!!* ><

QUOTE(Pinstripes)
My other favourite accessory is a gathering foot.

Hmmm... I'm guessing that ever brand of machine has a gathering foot available? I'll have to look into it for Brother machines.... it would certainly make life easier, but oh so much less FUN! LOL

#14 Last_Chael

Last_Chael

Costume Lover

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Interests:Historical costuming; vintage clothing; sci-fi and fantasy; comic books.
  • I'm currently working on:New Wonder Woman costume, vintage clothing
  • State:QLD

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

Hehehe ok I really must get my tutorial written up for the magazine!! Sorry I know I promised it a while ago!

I'm not sure about tulle, but my mum and I use netting. We both have differential feed on our overlockers, so that's what we use to gather. I know mum used to use a ruffler foot, but she's not found one that works for a while. But I shall definitely get that tutorial written up in the next two weeks (hooray for holidays!)

#15 Metanoia

Metanoia

Kind of Obsessive

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

I just use a the longest stitch setting my machine will do and I've never had any problems gathering tulle. My issues came when I tried to then sew it onto a satiny kind of material... back to cotton, show it who is boss and no problems since!! happy.gif

#16 laliibeans

laliibeans

Bringer of Chatter

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • I'm currently working on:new outfit!

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

When gathering tulle for tutu's (unfortunately I've had the unpleasant experience of making lots...) we always put small folds in it as we were sewing a stay stitch and then sewed in a very thin line of elastic with the smallest zigzag setting (the elastic was the thinnest tube kind you can get) which did all the gathering for each layer on it's own. This method is very useful, particularly when doing multiple layers of tulle for lots of puff, it allows for a lot of stretch too once is complete which I'm a fan of because I hate having to make petticoats, so the more forgiving and sturdy they are the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users